Friday, September 7, 2012

Organizing DVDs

Yesterday I decided to tackle our DVD collection. Over the years we have collected a number of DVDs, most from a place that sells second hand ones are really low prices. They had taken over the shelves I had built many years ago for my extensive collection of books. While I love books in all ways, we just didn't have the space for all of the ones I was collecting and I wasn't using them, so they were donated. Now I had a place for all those DVDs! Except, I didn't.

The collection was unwieldy and because the shelves were not made for DVDs they were not the most efficient use of space. I plan to replace the shelves, but in the mean time what to do? I wanted to do this as cheaply as possible but still have them look good. I checked out the usual places for decent looking plastic bins, but could not find anything that worked with the room and the disks.

Then, as I was looking up DVD cases on Amazon, on a whim, there they were. Perfect! And I didn't have to deal with black as they have brown also. They are heavy cardboard, have real snaps to put them together and are pretty sturdy. Each package of two costs a little over 10 dollars and each box holds approximately 13 DVDs in regular old fashioned sleeves. They would hold more if you are using them for slim sets.

I grouped them by type: Animated Disney, Action Adventure, etc.. You will have to make your own labels. Luckily, I had some heavy stock paper around, so I measured and cut out pieces double the length and folded them in half. When I put the labels in with the open side down, it parts slightly and keeps the label in and not falling through the bottom. This is not free however I decided to apply for the Amazon credit card for the 30 dollar bonus. The trick is to not use it of course, so if you don't think that you can restrain yourself, do not do it. It will not be worth it, even for that great deal on 100lbs of wheatberries.

Here it is all done except for the knick-knacks that I haven't found a place for yet. I can give away most of them, but some have strong emotional attachments to deal with.

Of course I still should redo the shelving, but that is for another day, as I have an interview for a temporary position in my field, so I won't have a lot of time for it hopefully. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, tips and other ideas are welcome here!