Friday, August 31, 2012

New Pretty...Free!

Free is not always free. That is a golden rule of shopping. Sometimes though, things are actually free sometimes.

I have been looking off and on for a 1950's vintage (or even retro which is a new version of an old style) table and chairs set. I wanted it to have the chrome and ideally be red. I have seen them for sale and have seriously considered getting one, but I was either too late for the really inexpensive ones, or they turned out to be in bad condition.

Imagine my surprise when I was looking at Craigslist for my area in the "free" section on a lark and there, two entries down was a free genuine 1950's table. I called immediately and indeed it had just been posted and still available. It was about 20 minutes away (not highway), so there was the cost of gas, but that is it. I didn't even need a truck.

Even better, it was the color I wanted. My husband and I went right out and picked it up. At first I was a little disappointed because the chairs appeared to have a marble like texture.


This is what they looked like, except even worse. We had done some scrubbing before I thought to take the picture. When they were home, my husband started washing them and discovered immediately that this was all filth from many, many years of use. Still, the chrome is beautiful and there is nothing that a little elbow grease will not fix, so we went to work.

We did spend some money on cleaners. With antiques or vintage things, you have to be careful of how you restore them or they lose significant value. After a week of scrubbing and quite a lot of armor all, they are finished. I am incredibly pleased with the result!

I still have a lot of work to do in the kitchen (including repainting the walls), but this set makes me happy every time I look at it. There are four chairs, but for the sake of a decent picture I left one out.

The value? Well to me it is priceless. This is an almost mint condition vintage piece. Used and dirty they easily go for 400 or more dollars, and the chrome is not always in very good shape. A new retro set costs upwards of 1500 dollars!

So, if you have your heart set on something, go to the places that list freebies in your area. I look at Freecycle or Craigslist for the best finds. Just remember to figure in the cost of fixing or cleaning and how much it will take to get it home. For about 20 dollars I brought home a very desirable piece of furniture that is going to look great when I finally finish the kitchen in the style I like. It will take a while to get the things I need as I look for bargains, but it will be well worth it.

If you have found a great bargain like this and want to post it, please feel free! Happy freebie hunting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, tips and other ideas are welcome here!