Friday, January 6, 2012

Looking for Help

The last few days have been, well, interesting. I am currently trying to find a job after graduating from University in December. The market is pretty grim to be sure. Still, I am posting resumes on job sites and creating cover letters for specific jobs like a crazy person. I have had a few bites from job services, but I haven't looked into them yet. Some charge, and seeing as we really don't have the money, I will not be using their services.

In a fit of blind panic set off from seeing that the monthly passes for our public transport may go up 21 dollars in a few months, something that my family relies on, I started looking for more help. In my searching I found: http://www.fairfoods.org/ which is an organization for Massachusetts, I believe the Boston area. This organization will, twice a month (or more if you can travel) give out produce and other foods for 2 dollars a bag. You have to bring your own bags of course. The important thing about this for those of you who do not live by Boston is that you can go to your local government sites, either the state site, which is where I found this, or you town/city's sites. From my state site there is much information on services available, from weatherizing to help paying for heat to seeing what programs you qualify for, including SNAP (food stamps). While online I wasn't approved for SNAP, when I went in I found that there are forms that take our situation into account and we did get help. We now get 90 dollars a month, which is something. For your state website use this link: http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/State-and-Territories.shtml and there is a list of all the states and territories.

If you have children under 5, check out the WIC program. This voucher system helps you to get formula (if you are not breastfeeding), cheese, milk, juice and cereal. In some places you even get vouchers for local farmer's markets. This is extremely helpful and they are a bit more generous in how much you can make in order to qualify than SNAP is.

As far as the job search goes, I am applying for things that I had hoped were far behind me. Because of my disability there are some jobs that I have been strongly advised not to do, but when you are broke you do what you have to. If I do end up in that type of job, hopefully it won't be for long and all will be well. I am also looking for sites that help to create resumes and job specific cover letters. I will post what I find.

1 comment:

  1. Good work! Trust me I have been in the same/worse position. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. There are some web sites that have advice from the depression era for more household frugality, you should check them out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, tips and other ideas are welcome here!