Thursday, January 12, 2012

Internet savings

Since we have three students in the house, well minus one now that I have graduated, we really need internet. Going to the library isn't out of the question, but many people use it so there is a wait and also you only get a little time on the computer. When researching this can be a problem. My last paper took hours and hours of research time, mostly online.

The first thing that you want to do is look at the different providers in your area. Verizon Fios for us is FAR more expensive than Comcast, but in different parts of the country things change and there are more choices in some places. Look them up! The difference in price can be huge.

Another thing to check is to see if they have "student packages". These are usually only a limited time offer, from Fall semester until the end of Spring Semester, but can be a big help. Also, check daily for good deals. We got our internet and telephone for 50.00 a month (which comes to over 60.00 with all the taxes and surcharges). Internet is becoming a necessity it seems. Right now one can still live without it, especially if their college has facilities or their local library, but it does appear that everyone wants you to have an email address, including possible employers.

I think that the free email services are well known by now. While an address usually comes with an internet package, there is also Hotmail, yahoo, and Gmail plus others that are not as well known. I recommend having two, a professional one, usually with your name in some form that is easily recognizable and one for the sort of mail that gets you spam. My experience with Gmail sorting out spam has so far been excellent. I have rarely found anything of importance in the junk folder. I have one address for all my professional needs, and then I have my original which is connected with blogs such as this one, a Facebook page, recipe and coupon sites etc.. That also makes it easier to be sure that you don't miss that important email that is offering you an interview or giving you a job.

As it may have been noticed, I have yet to take advantage of the "ad sense" program here. I will be doing so at one point though because it will help to earn real money. Also, there is a program called MyPoints where you can earn points through clicking emails, making purchases from affiliated stores, using their grocery coupons, filling out surveys and getting friends to join. The link I provided will not be a referral for me though, as they seem to have suspended that particular way of acquiring members. They also have other ways. You will get mail that you don't want though, but that is what happens with many of these programs. You might want to make a different email for this.

With MyPoints you are collecting points for gift certificates or to make donations to causes, but with Inbox Dollars (and this link IS a referral link, if you click and join I will also get credit for your usage) you get actual money. It isn't a lot, particularly if you don't have a lot of time, but it does add up and could make you some pocket change. If you are really up for it, I am sure that much more can be made, but it takes time on the computer. They also offer grocery coupons and affiliated stores that will help you add to your account.

Lately I have been ignoring the emails because I have been so very busy something had to go. Since I am now just job hunting, I have a little more time to click through the ads and things. The hardest part to remember is to look their first before making online purchases! I have some anxiety issues about shopping in malls and such, so during the holidays everything but the stocking stuffers come from internet purchases. Yes, the shipping can make it less frugal, but if you are finding really good deals, which sometimes includes free or reduced shipping, it can be frugal. There area also some places where you can order online and have it shipped free to a local store for pick up. Payless shoes used to do that, but they seem to be closing down all around. I do believe Best Buy also has this program. So, you find a sale, you see if one of your pay sites is affiliated with them, enter the store through that site and you can find great sales, free shipping and also get points or dollars for the effort.

A final note on this for now. Be aware! Anyone asking you for money to join is probably misleading you at best, completely fraudulent at worse. Any site asking for your social security number or demanding a telephone number (this is usually optional, not mandatory) should also be approached carefully if at all. I never give out that information unless I am absolutely sure of the site I am using, such as the FASFA site for student loans. Also, the federal loan and grants site is a government site with .ed.gov as the end of the address. Any others are going to make you pay for something that you can easily do yourself, so do not fall for it!

Now I am off to update my accounts and start making some money again. Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michele, I am part of InBoxDollars as well and have found it to be a reputable company that pays as promised. You are right, it does take some time and effort to earn a check but it can be done. I complete the surveys and paid emails as well as cash searches. I do not shop thorugh the site yet but will look into that at some point. I received my first check on 12/5/2006 and my most recent check on 1/8/2012. I have seen companies come and go but this one seems like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a check from them once, but I was lazy about clicking while in school. I can also vouch for MyPoints. I have been using them for well over 10 years now and have received many gift certificates. Definitely well established.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, tips and other ideas are welcome here!